View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 08:45 AM

I think this is one of the most individual aspects of guitar playing. Somebody probably prefers every single neck profile out there, and I'm not sure there is a formula. I've seen people with large hands and long fingers prefer a shallow neck and narrow nut, and I've seen people with small hands and short fingers who prefer the opposite.

I once thought that big hands would prefer beefier necks. Some do, of course, but there seems to be a great many exceptions. It's an even more subjective thing, I think, than our preferences for body styles or choice of woods.

Does that mean you have to play them all to decide? No, I don't think so. But you do need to try enough to discover what your hands prefer. (And ears, and pocketbook, and eyes...) I don't know of an easy way around that.

On the other hand, many of us can readily adapt to most any profile neck with practice. I'm not sure I fall into that catagory, but I've seen guitarists who seemed to feel comfortable with most any guitar shaped object they picked up.

cotten