View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling View Post
I spent some time today moving my champ and guitar to different rooms. It was dead quiet in the upstairs bedroom. Still more prominent in the downstairs. I ran the tele and LP through their paces today. The teles hum
is not as loud as the LP. As a matter of fact I can live with the tele hum. The LP was much louder. I think the problem
Is a ground in that guitar. I don’t think it’s the amp and I don’t think it’s a ground problem with the house but I am going to have it checked
sincea I’m having electrician out to do some work anyways.

The hum was much worse with the LP and an OD pedal
with the champ and high gain settings with the mustang. Not a surprise though.
OK making diagnostic progress . It seems to me you have determined it is in fact "location specific" in your house, if it disappears in the upstairs bedroom.

One suggestion since obviously as you said not a surprise the high gain and OD increase the hum, being simply a volume increase so don't use them in testing for now. Best most efficient diagnostic procedure it to eliminate variables for testing. So while the LP may be louder (but if it also disappears upstairs ) and since you indicated in the OP the hum is present with the other guitars as well, seems to me the primary issue is not grounding in the LP, that strikes to me as a secondary additional issue .

Also you might try ( befor the electrician gets there ) as someone suggested setting your rig up down stairs wherever the hum is most noticeable, and then try shutting off adjacent downstair circuits at the breaker panel .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4