View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Hi Sprintbob,

Thanks so much for listening and the feedback.

I remember that you study with Mark, so it's very good to hear your observations. I'm glad to know it is ok to skip Hesitation Blues, and to skip around a bit in the Art of Solo book.

When I finished up the Travis book I was at loose ends. The Art of Solo book seemed a little too advance at the time, and I had not yet discovered Beyond Basics. Mark plays the tunes very fast

So I looked around a bit and found Toby Walker's into to fingerpicking video series. I highly recommend it to anyone following along on this thread, especially if you are a visual learner. I'm not very visual and usually prefer tab and a recording, but Toby' videos helped me a lot.

I also picked up a couple of Woody Mann books which are great. Currently working on his version of Saturday Night Rub and a tune based on Mississippi John Hurt's style. Highly recommended.

I realize I need a little more structure and feel like I now am up to really digging in to the Art of Solo book. I'm starting at the beginning with Red White and Blue Rag which is coming a lot easier than when I first attempted it a few months back. I've also discovered Key to the Kingdom thanks to Kerbie's input in this thread. Mark sells a very advanced "performance" tab on his website which is way beyond me, but I was happy to discover the beginner version in the Beyond the Basics book.

BTW, I have followed your progress in some other threads and it is quite remarkable given the relatively short time you have been at it!

Thanks again for your comments,
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the compliment amongst us aspiring finger style wannabes. I think AOSF is going to be fun for you. RWB Rag is very fun to play and has some interesting riffs in it. It's the song that really committed me to developing my thumb over the neck to catch the low E string technique. And then you can take on the more advanced Freight Train.

I agree with you on the performance version of KtoK, it's a bit above my pay grade too but I want to take it on in the next year.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)