View Single Post
Old 11-19-2017, 03:51 AM

Quote:
One quick note... I teach A major as being fingered 2-1-3 and do so for a number of purposes which I'll not go into at this moment beyond illustrating that the index finger never leaves the G string and serves as an "anchor" for fingers 2 and 3 to pivot around. I've seen the A maj chord fingered a number of different ways, but I believe that this is the first way it should be taught which hopefully will be understood as one moves to and from the D and E chords. Many chords have similar relationships and a prime objective of this is also to teach the new player to look for additional relationships so they can develop their own "chunks".
That one tip to go from A -> E -> with the index anchored on the G string made such a difference for me learning my first song (I got it from a lesson on JustinGuitar.com).

Being able to change chords quickly enough to not lose the beat / rhythm of the song is so important and that made a substantial difference for me.

I tell newcomers now pick a song with A E and D and I'll show you a quick way to get started. Great tip.

Last edited by tonyo; 11-19-2017 at 03:53 AM. Reason: typo