View Single Post
Old 10-05-2016, 05:06 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Default Burton LeGeyt Renaissance Parlour

Hey there kids,

we are finally starting this thread. I wanted to wait until after Santa Barbara so that I wouldn't be detracting Burton's attention too much. This project has been in its infancy for about 18 months. We initially started thinking about a Ditson style 3 parlour but since Burton was so excited about the Martin Renaissance shape I acquiesced. The specs are a little hard to describe but here goes. Also, full disclosure: All pictures of the original guitar are credited to the owner, Robert Corwin, and his excellent site, www.vintagemartin.com. All build photos are credited towards the builder, Burton LeGeyt.

12 fret concave upper bout parlour
Hide Glue Construction
Red Spruce over Koa
short scale
1 3/4 nut, 2 5/16 bridge
Hollow CF nonadjustible neck reinforcement with compression T fretting
Crazy cool tuner to be determined :0

Here's the inspration:

I was really inspired by Burton's incredible ability to take vintage inspiration and apply a very cool modern interpretation. A great example is a few of these shots from his most recent custom shop thread:

We elected to go with Koa and Red Spruce:

We're also going to try and use a few other vintage Martin inspirations, and Burton has something special in store for the tuners. As you saw in his thread he's really been experimenting in flushed tuners, so we may riff on that a little. Keep an eye on the thread and we'll update as things go on!

Last edited by CoolerKing; 10-01-2017 at 12:12 PM.