View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 02:41 PM

Simon,
I did a little bridge removal tutorial here on the AGF awhile ago. Maybe you can find it but if not, here's the brief summery.
1) cut out a mask the shape of the bridge from CORRUGATED cardboard. This will protect the top from the heat of the iron.
2) You'll need to pick up a pallet knife from an art store. Putty knife is too thick. You'll need a pallet knife.
3) With the mask secured to the top, set an iron on the bridge. No steam, just heat. There's really now magic formula as to how long it will take to let go. I just put it towards one end and let it sit for ten minutes or so (around 200 degrees) then check to see if the pallet knife will work under a corner. If it will then I move the iron to the other end as I work the knife under the bridge. If it won't just heat it some more. Be patient.
4) Once you can get the knife under the bridge, work from the outside-in. In other words, work from the edges towards the middle, all the way around. It's not wise to poke all the way through and work towards one end. Because that end will show a lot of tear out.
5) This is the absolute most important step. If you listen to nothing else I've said, listen to this. Do not, for any reason, pry upward on the bridge. Even if you only have a small area to go and you're sure it will let go. I guarantee the bridge will take a chunk of top with it. Just work the knife in a side-to-side action under the bridge until it's off. If you find it too hard to move the knife, heat it some more.
Hope that helps.