View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Wow, this is like Groundhog Day .

And I mean that in an extremely positive way ! Louie and I have been debating conical surfaces for like almost twenty years ... there was an epic thread on the MIMF back in (I think) 2000 where every aspect of conical/compound surface was debated, with Louie emerging the ultimate winner ... but there still remains one small point to be debated ... more later.

John (Arnold) if you are still watching this thread there is something I would like to ask. I have a memory of you posting (long time ago) that your method of fretboard radiusing was first of all to establish the nut radius and then use a hand plane to shape the fretboard so that the height of the fretboard sides remained constant, and also the center height from nut to end of fret board remained constant ... the radius at the upper (lower ?) end of fretboard being irrelevant. Is this a fair summation of your approach ?
Murray, when everyone rises from the mud pile with mud on them, is there really a winner? (LOL) It was, more like 7-8 years ago if I recall correctly. Today, I'm too lazy to represent mathematical proof as I did then. Don't know if anyone else had mentioned about bending "uphill" and "downhill" before then, but I'm sure these things were on the mind of Ken Warmoth in the late 70s as well as others before.