View Single Post
Old 03-03-2002, 12:40 AM

Tom:

I see your delema. I wish I could offer some advice. The worship team vocalists that I have been associated with never read music. Not that they couldn't...just didn't. My former Pastor used to try to dicourage us from being glued to the page. I personally felt that it didn't allow me to truly get surrounded by His presence. Ask yourself if you think worship is too technically complicated. Lately I've been feeling that simpler is better because you can be more free.

It's too bad that they are afraid to try new material. Perhaps you could weave it in slowly. Maybe during practice you can work on just one song and introduce it when they are comfortable.

In my last team, we learned one new song a week and introduced it that Sunday. We found that making tapes of practice on Tuesday nights gave us time to work on our own through the week. Then met for a run-through Sunday morning.

I know this doesn't help you but thank God that He has given you so much talent. It's a good problem to have.

Do you pray prior to practice? We pray for quite some time and always felt that helped direct our worship. Like anything, commit it to Him and let Him make it happen. Then it becomes true worship when the Lord leads...no music, eyes shut, in His presence.... His Holiness Surround Me....Can't wait for church tomorrow.