View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I wanted to build one but was dissuaded by lack of documentation of bracing.
Assuming this one doesn't collapse and sounds halfway decent Id be happy to give you proper dimensions for the bracing I used. Or if you have some pattern you want to try I can build some FEA models when I have some spare time.

On to the pics.

Sound hole cut and the edge reinforced with a maple ply. Im paranoid of it splitting since its so thin but the total braced soundboard weight is only 172g so I don't think I need to worry about the weight at this point

I ended up contouring the back in the opposite direction as the top to let me shorten the heel (like I crudely drew before). Got the bindings all glued and cut to match. Also added some support on the neck block to help keep it from folding over.

Back is laminated and braced with a bend a little above the waist so I can shorten the heel.

Finally get to close the box and then trim the excess back plate. Before the back was on I had been a little underwhelmed with how responsive the top was tapping on it but as soon as it was all closed up it ended up louder and more responsive than anything I've ever made. Hopefully that'll translate to something good acoustically.

I got the neck properly fitted and it can adjust from about -3 to +5 degrees on the neck angle

I made a bridge and glued it in place. The adjustable neck joint is already coming in handy. Since I moved the sound hole I couldn't clamp the bridge in place as I normally would so I clamped a straightedge on the neck and tilted it till I was happy with the pressure on the bridge.