View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
My early 2008 Mac Pro cheese grater gives me enough issues these days that it discourages me from recording. I was toying with the idea of buying a used 2012 12-core version but I'm not sure I want to invest money into old firewire technology. Then I considered buying a used 2013 12-core Mac Pro trashcan. They have Thunderbolt so it's an upgrade in that respect, but it's Thunderbolt 2 rather than 3, so it's still old technology in a sense. Plus, I'd be spending near $5k on a 4 year old computer. That gave me an uneasy feeling.

For a while I was trying to hold out until the new modular Mac Pros came out but that's going to be in 2018 at the earliest and may even push into 2019. A new iMac Pro is coming out at the end of this year but the base price is $5k. By the time I put in upgrades, I'm probably over the $7k mark. Seeing the price of that made me realize the modular Mac Pro will likely be even more expensive and I'm ruling that out.

So after much hemming and hawing, I'm rolling the dice on a new 27" iMac with a 4.2GHz quad core and 32gb of 2400MHz DDR4 ram. It's half the cores of my old Mac Pro but it's about triple the processing power. I ordered it with only 512gb ssd storage but I'm adding an Akitio Thunder3 Quad Mini 4-bay enclosure to the mix which will let me attach 4 1TB ssd drives via TB3. I'm adding the TB option card to my Apollo Firewire and the lack of pcie slots means I'll be selling my UAD cards (two solo and one duo) and adding a TB Octo satellite.

I've got all the components sitting in a pile here. Just waiting for the new computer to be ready for pickup. It was a special order and won't be ready until next weekend.

Fingers crossed that this machine is powerful enough to meet my needs.
I forgot what DAW you are using but

I would think 4.2 GHz and 32 GB of 2400Mhz DDR4 would be a superb recording machine and reasonably future proof . And 512 GB of SSD on the boot drive is more than enough. The 4 - 1 TB ssd storage drives should also more than enough storage ,
Will be interested to hear your impressions once you get it up and running.

The 27 inch screen is really nice. I have an older 27" Apple Display and would find it hard to go back to anything smaller.
So far my Mid 2010 Mac Pro 3.33 GHz 6 core 24 GB RAM is still running strong. I did upgrade it to a 512 PCIe SSD boot drive which made a big difference in boot and launch times.

I am however still using the original Apple installed 1 TB and 2 TB HDD drives for my Pro tools session storage and my Final Cut Pro x project storage . But because of the RAM cache feature in Pro Tools the session while in use is on the boot ssd.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 09-29-2017 at 11:59 AM.