View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMan View Post
I refinished an old Takamine F360S. (Solid spruce top, Rosewood laminate back and sides) I bought it very cheap. Someone had put some stickers on it that left very noticable Tan lines. Because it had was looked to be a very thick epoxy like finish I did use some liquid stripper against the advise of my luthier playing buddy. Like he warned me leaving the stripper on any length of time would cause the plastic binding to "melt". Worked great on the top and the laminate sides and back. I did use scrapers and sandpaper however to finish the removal process. I also had my friend remove the bridge so I could scrape the top. I was able to feather out the damage done to the plastic binding and the guitar came out great and is my main player/beater guitar. I put a Tru oil finish on it (about 15 coats) and it has a real nice satin finish. Also taking that heavy finish off seemed to improve the sound in both my and my friend's opinion. Smart to start off with an inexpensive guitar as a learning tool.

Good luck Jim!

Hey SMan, I know this thread is WAY old but hopefully you still peruse the forums every once in a while; I'm actually looking to do exactly what you did with your takamine, I have an old beater guitar that I want to do some work on, both to make it more playable and to have the experience. I'd love to have more details on your whole process if you've got the time. A couple of questions I have,

Did you separate the neck from the body before sanding and refinishing everything?

Were there any other sealants or wood treatments you used, or was it just the Tru-Oil? My guitar sounds much like, yours, with an epoxy-like, almost plastic-feeling finish that I would love to get rid of, then leave a natural/satin finish on the whole guitar, hopefully it will feel a little less cheap and look a whole lot better.

And if there are any techniques or tricks you used, or anything you think I may overlook (as I'm a complete novice to guitar work, though I have done a fair amount of woodwork growing up), I'd love to hear them.

Thanks a lot in advance!

jbruns