View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 05:56 AM

All those different "signposts" have the same goal, to map out the fretboard for you. But they do have different sounds and mechanics. To achieve complete freedom independent of any method takes a long time. In the meantime, yor signposts will help you sound a certain way. Which signposts you use will depend on the music you want to play. A jazz student might study drop-2 chords on different stringsets. An acoustic folk/pop player might start with caged. A shredder might need to learn certain 3 notes per string patterns which minimize string skipping and allows consistent alternate picking at all times. An electric blues player might start with pentatonic blues boxes. Later, you combine these and discover they are all the same. A life long journey.

I suggest to start with a song you know and like. Try to analyze it with some of those signposts. Which one fits best? If caged fits the songs you play, use it to understand the chords. Then find the scale tones in between. If there is a solo, which scale system fits best? How does it interact with the chord shapes? Start with the music, then find the tools. Ignore internet discussions about A is better than B.

Personally, I started with caged and expanded to drop-2 chords. I don't use linear scale playing much so that is on the backburner for now.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster