View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
...not as much sustain as the completely solid-bodied Les Pauls either...Guitars are like people. Each one has its attractions and its drawbacks....
Had the opportunity a few years ago to A/B mine against a gennie '58 goldtop/darkback/PAF, through the same EL84 combo. While I'll agree with you 150% regarding the variability between instruments, what I experienced was just that: two iterations of the same flavor, neither of which would be considered lacking in any way - the characteristic thicker tones of the 11+lb. PAF '58 (definitely one of the heavier ones I've sampled over the years BTW, original or reissue) versus the airier, crisper sounds (and superior acoustic response) of the newer model; although the harmonic content was unquestionably different, the family lineage (and sustain) was there in both cases, as much so in its own way as a D-18 and a D-28. Personally, I've never found it to be an issue - YMMV...