View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
See if this helps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H06_0ApzkzY
Notice the arm movement is quite small, not a big swing; that lets them play faster. There's still movement at the elbow (the arm is relaxed), but the main move is from the wrist.

Its also important that it's swing feel, so any 8th notes (upstrokes in between) are delayed. (That's a whole other skill to master, to differentiate between straight and swing rhythms.)
Thanks for the video. I like how he sings "there's a bathroom on the right". LoL

I hadn't noticed the swung rhythm until you mentioned it. Like most of the rhythms I've practiced, I'm ok up to 120-130-140. Above that all bets are off.

I've taken videos of my practice with the iPad. Strumming movement is small, but not as relaxed as I'd like. like most, I tense up when pushing speed. I'm getting better at relaxing though.

I have the "Guitar Player's Guide to Developing Speed, Accuracy and Tone" book I got at the same time as the first 2 Flatpicking Essentials books. It has a nice section on right hand mechanics. He talks about relaxation, body position, holding the pick, pick choices, attack, strum arc, and lots of other information. Unfortunately, all this info hasn't helped with my strumming speed issues though. It just feels like I've hit a barrier at 140BPM.