View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 12:48 PM

I presently use Martin M-130 S&S on my Taylor GC8e and I'm very happy with both the way they feel and the way they sound, but the OM-35 is a totally different thing that I don't have any experience with other than lust.

Starting back in about 1970 I wanted a D-35 much more than a D-28 because I thought they were both prettier and sounded better to MY ear. Life lead me away from guitars for about 38 years because my wife and I decided to become studio potters so we could have our own business and not have to work for someone else, but you can't spend your working day with your hands in mud and water and keep callouses and in addition you don't want callouses because you need all the sensitivity you can get in your finger tips to help you tell what the clay is doing.

Now that we are retired and I'm somewhat back into guitars I'm finding that the sins of my youth (motorcycles) are catching up with me. My right shoulder is permanently separated, so dreads are out. My left thumb was severely dislocated in '73 and has been weakened and every few minutes it feels like someone is sticking an ice pick into the thumb joint where it joins the palm but so far I've been able to live with it. Actually, for being 78, I don't have too bad arthritis but my hands certainly do hurt some; more some days than others.

Listening to the sound clip MFG has up for the OM-35, it fits perfectly into my mind's ear of what a Martin is supposed to sound like, so I hope to some day be able to get one.

Tom