View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 06:30 PM

Congratulations on getting a Motif back in your life!

I own an Art & Lutherie Ami Nylon, essentially the same guitar as the Motif with a less-fancy finish, binding, rosette etc. The Ami has now been discontinued, with only La Patrie making the Godin-brands' 'parlor size classical guitar'.

Like you, I've also considered getting a second one (Motif or Ami Nylon) not for different tunings but to replace the cedar top with a spruce top The bolt-on neck design makes re-topping much, much easier. If I find one used at a good price, I'll probably do it. I'd then have the two basic classical guitar sounds--one warm, one bright.

Everyone's ears/fingers/style/needs are different, but my current fave strings for the little Canadian parlor are D'Addario Pro-Arte Dynacore W/Titanium Trebles, normal tension.

IMO the Motif is the best guitar in the La Patrie line. The other La Patries are fine (I've owned two Etudes), but the Motif is in a class of it's own--it sounds like no other current factory-built nylon-string guitar. It's smaller size makes it SO comfortable to play.

I currently own 5 classical guitars, but if I could only afford to own one, I'd probably choose the Ami Nylon.