View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuoham View Post
Anybody feels that even though mediums definitely make a difference when strumming, when fingerpicking, especially the treble strings, the light gauge has more life and response ?
I don't think there is a sound difference per se as you have commented. This is just my opinion. Having said that the 'bluegrass' strings are something of the sort you are describing ... medium wound strings and light unwound strings. To me the 'bluegrass' sets have more to do with ease of play then sound ... light unwound strings are easier on your finger. But there are many variation on the 'bluegrass' or 'medium/light' gauges depending on the brand - so plenty to experiment with.

If you think it is better (sound) to use light gauge on the treble strings ... try it. With some strings you can buy individual strings and create your own custom gauge set. If i remember correctly Strings and Beyond sells some of the brands that way.

And to the OP ... i thought the Taylor 214 took light gauge. I would check with Taylor. If that guitar was built with a light gauge in mind but okay for medium then you might need some neck relief adjustment (truss rod) to handle the medium gauge.

Ken