View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Anybody feels that even though mediums definitely make a difference when strumming, when fingerpicking, especially the treble strings, the light gauge has more life and response ?
Or are my right hand fingers just too weak when fingerpicking ?
I've used mediums all my life, and they sound great for fingerpicking. I have gone through phases of using lights, but didn't like the feel of them, or the tone. My guitar does not like lights, apparently. I find the tone of mediums, for fingerpicking, to be ideal - full and bell-like, louder than lights, and just more "solid" sounding. But it's really all in what you prefer; it's a very personal thing. Try both lights and mediums and see which you like best. But I'd say try each one for a few months, through a couple of string changes, to get a good impression of each kind of string. It's true that medium strings require a little more effort to play, but really it's minimal.

And then there's the question of Phosphor Bronze, or 80/20...or Nickel, etc. It's a big world of strings, and you've got plenty of time, so dive in.

Jack