View Single Post
Old 03-25-2024, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Hi. My wife and I bought and remodeled a condo last spring. Now we have started working on the bottom walk out basement floor which will include a two room project studio.

The longer larger room has a window at one end to the back yard. I am going to go for a coffee shop vibe, and it will be a room where I can rehearse a duo or trio, play direct parts like keyboards and sampled drums, and just hang out.

The smaller room is about 10’ by 10’, and will be used for recording acoustic guitars and vocals. There will be a solid window between the two and some sort of talkback and playback.

The floors will be tile with throw rugs. The walls will be drywall with some sort of stick on acoustic panels in covering parts of the surface.

The ceiling will be unfinished beams or maybe painted black, with ductwork and water pipes remaining where they are, but with some sort of acoustic panels suspended down with chains from the unfinished ceiling above it.

What I haven’t decided is which panels to use. I see some for sale on Reverb.com. There are also some advertised online, but I have no experience with this.

I also kind of like the idea of putting some sort of recessed LED lights within the panels. We put wafer-thin LED lights throughout the house, and they were easy to install and look great. It seems to me like this should be quite doable. That or maybe there are panels that already have lights built in.

Has anyone done this sort of ceiling? One that is unfinished with acoustic ceiling panels hanging down. I would love to pick your brain if you have.
The Doug Fearn podcast series has an excellent episode on studio lighting that you might listen to. It really changed my mind about what I thought I knew about LED lighting.