View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 06:08 AM

I haven’t played an adi-topped Furch either I’m afraid but have played many Furch guitars over the last few years and we own two - OM23sf (spruce maple) and OM34sr (spruce rosewood).

The maple model (Millenium) is predictably very direct with a great tone for fingerstyle and soloing. The top is aged and helps give the guitar a healthy volume and projection for its small size.

The rosewood model (Vintage) is a monster! It is my loudest guitar and projects even better than the other Furch, my Taylor or even my vintage Guild D35. The rosewood back is a dark chocolate colour and has some of the prettiest and straightest grain I have ever seen on IER.

Furch are very consistent in their production in my experience though I have read some negative opinions (on AGF amongst others). They do seem to be lightly built compared to some other builders. That is not necessarily a bad thing - but it could lead to being sensitive to humidity or temperature changes: the maple guitar has a tiny separation of the top just below the fingerboard at the sound hole but as it is stable we haven’t done anything about it. The rosewood model is just fine.

Both our guitars have the narrower fingerboard profile which suits us perfectly: more D28 than OM28. That said, I played a walnut b/s G model a few weeks ago and that felt and sounded fantastic in my hands.

So although we can’t answer specific questions about adi tops I would buy another Furch in a heartbeat without trying it first - as long as there was the option to send it back if there was something wrong with the specific example they sent me.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden