View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
I'm considering a more travel friendly, downsized, somewhat nomadic existence, where I probably won't have enough space for the guitars in my signature, with the exception of the Voyage-Air. I love my VAD-2, but it's all solid wood, and a big concern is durability and humidification.

Would appreciate any advice on a carbon fiber guitar that would be a good choice for extended travel, and limited living space, with the least compromise on fullness of tone and playability.
Depends how small you want to go. The smallest CF guitar with the fullest tone is the Blackbird Rider, I consider the Rider a sub-compact guitar BTW. In the 3/4 size travel group, I would look towards the CA Cargo, and the Journey OF660 which breaks down to a carry on size package. Both have a fuller voice than you would expect from their size, and plenty of warmth.

If a slightly larger than the 3/4 size guitar will work, than the new RT660 should be looked at, which has the tone of the Cargo, but bigger, or the Rainsong Parlor, which has a brighter voice with more clarity and overtones. The RT660 comes with a K&K style pickup, and the Rainsong Parlor can be had without electronics in a number of configurations, or with your choice of K&K, LR Baggs Stage Pro or Anthem, or Fisham Prfeix Plus T. Depending on the model you choose, of course. Coming this Spring you can also add the Blackbird Savoy to the list. Also a 0 size guitar with a cutaway, but made of Ekoa, with double top construction, so a much more traditional, wood-like tone.

Next step up in size would be the Blackbird Lucky 13 and Rainsong Shorty. Two amazing guitar for sure, but I'm not sure how big you are willing to go.

There are other options, like the Emerald X7, but the guitars mentioned above have the "fullest" voice in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
Thx Ted... interesting review and interesting guitar for sure.

Todd in Chicago
My pleasure, Todd. Been a while since I was able t post an NGD.

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 03-18-2017 at 02:29 PM.