View Single Post
Old 12-18-2016, 11:47 PM

Default Would love some archtop tips

I am new to the forum so if this should be a new post please tell me. I thought the originator may like this subject though. I am a flat top player and have some beauties. My favorite is a 90's Larrivee that is amazing. (over a old Martin and Gibby)

A locally owned place sadly went out of business a month ago and I thought it would be fun to try an acoustic Archtop. I played every Archtop they had which admittedly was not that many (10). This is really a different animal and of the Godin, Ephiphone and Loar this really did sound the best to me. I will say they had four De Luxe's and I would not have picked any of the other De Luxe Epi's over the Godin. I also played the Zenith and Olympic which was disappointing - was hoping for a David Rawlings Olympic sound there . Perhaps I got a good one. Epiphone is not exactly what I think of when picking a quality guitar although I also have heard they have greatly improved quality wise and the guitar I bought was perfectly constructed, even a bone nut. I should also say a going out of business sale meant the De Luxe was $600 instead of the typical $899 and yes that may make a difference.

I am really enjoying the guitar and the new style it requires. Any suggestions for a folk/bluegrass/string band guy that is pretty good on flat top. I am reading everything I can find and see only playing a few chord strings and lots of picking single notes are best. It really works! I highly recommend getting one.

I would say play as many as you can and pick what sound best. I wish I would have found this place earlier.

While I don't expect I will be switching out my Larrivee I am really having fun with it. My luck is I will fall in love and need one of your high $$$$ ones Thanks for the comments and forgive me if this should have been a new thread.

Cheers, C