View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Hey Randall,

Thanks for turning me on to the Element stuff. Have you heard it?
I played through a "Full" system of these, over the past holidays, with an old friend who gigs with these extensively... he plays a fairly "electrified" acoustic guitar (talking tone here), both solo and in a duo, using backing tracks...

Truth is, he was running a BUNCH of different stuff through the HK, so it's hard to tell exactly how it sounded. for my tastes, it sounded totally "un" - unreal, unnatural... that very pronounced, over-emphasized highs and lows that came to popularity in the 70's, if memory serves...

I have become so used to hearing/playing through my Bose L1 Classic, that I was dismayed to hear what came out of this rig... admittedly, it's expensive and should sound pretty darn nice; maybe it was the way my buddy had it set up, I don't know.

TO THE OP: Unless you're buying used, you are NOT talking about a Bose L1 systm, not for $999 new... no way, no how. If the Compact is the one you're looking at, then I have no expereince with them, although I've heard a number of people that liked them just fine... Pat Metheny used a few during his "Orchestrion" tour, along with the bigger Bose rigs...

I can testify to the sound of the big system from Bose... but, I don't think many people realize that the Bose L1 is truly designed for ONE player, not for an ensemble... I've have used mine for a duo with success, but it seems that every new source signal added kind of "muddies the water" a bit, regarding the sonic quality of the output. The L1 Model I Classic has been around for some years now - I see them for sale, from time to time, for around $1100 w/ a B1 (Bose subwoofer)... So long as lifting the base unit doesn't bother you (32#s!), I heartily recommend finding a good, clean used one.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman