View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 02:30 PM

Default Belated NUD -- Gretsch G9120 tenor ukulele

Santa brought one of these for me a couple weeks ago:

It's just a lower-end laminate ukulele, but Gretsch has done a fantastic job with these in my opinion. I read lots of good things about them so I had confidence putting it on my list to give to the man in the red suit.

It looks great. Mine has a deep, dark-stained finish on the mahogany that really looks impressive. Reminds me of vintage Martin 15 series guitars. It looks really clean and well built, and it looks and feels like a more expensive instrument than it is. The tuners are nice open-back Grovers with black buttons that function well and add to the vintage feel. Came with a really basic/lightweight/non-padded but sharp-looking tan gig bag with the vintage Gretsch logo embroidered.

Plays great too, as far as I can tell being an experienced guitar player and a ukulele novice. I've played a little on some ukuleles in the $400-500 range in guitar shops before and I don't feel like I'm missing out on a lot with this Gretsch in terms of overall tone and playability. I've also casually played some cheapies in the past and I think this is a definite step up from your typical entry-level model.

Anyway, if you have been thinking about getting a uke to have around, love the traditional look of 30s/40s/50s instruments, and want a lot of bang for buck, give one of these a shot.

Thanks Santa!