View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 01:26 PM

Like guitar strings, you will have to experiment. Your mandolin is a modern archtop; it can certainly handle J75s, and that would probably be my starting point.

However, I am not sure that it should be yours. D'Addario strings, and in particular 74s, are sort of the default string in the mandolin world. It doesn't mean they are the best, just the most popular, and they are good strings, so they are a good place to start. J74s will be slightly less stiff than J75s.

If the D'Addarios prove too bright, you could try DR 11s. I have found that they tamp down brightness. My last suggested string would be GHS A270. They have a slightly thicker A string, which I like, and they are my go to strings for my Ellis.

Most of my string changes I do in pairs, G strings, D strings, A strings, and then E strings. You can certainly do G then E, then D, then A, nothing wrong with this approach, but I also haven't found any benefit.

Every third or fourth string change (which is usually 1-2 months depending on how much I play) I will take off the G strings and D strings at the same time so I can wiped down the fingerboard, clean behind the nut, make sure the tuners are snug, take a look a fret wear, etc. Then I do the same with the A and E strings. I have found that you can have two sets of strings off and the bridge stays put.