View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 05:24 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
I saw a guitar on Ebay (Epiphone Texan signed by Paul McCartney) for 49K. Without playing it I can tell you (IMHO) it will play way below that cost!
Yeah, $49K is a bit much. You’re paying for the signature and the auction will likely not sell at that price, if ever!

I see Olsen, Henderson, Ryan, Kraut, Sexauer, etc. all guitars with price tags upwards to $20K for a new custom build. The only people that can afford that are collectors, not players, and they want to see their wealth in a fine display cabinet or hanging on a wall.

I’ve been lucky to have acquired a few names in this caliber, but not the price tag, names like McAlister and Tippin. These are now 10 and 20 years old now. I’m not calling these guys to get on their build calendars today!

Ten years ago I was playing Westerly Guilds for $1K +/- but since then a bit more. I’ve got at least 2 guitars that play and sound like those special $20K builds, but the most I will pay for a guitar is $4K used, never new, and that’s a lot. Then I’m going to play them 2 hours, every night!