View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 02:40 PM

In both cases you should play before you buy, but Loar is less risky because it's newer and it's cheap. The Loar is a good deal if you like how it plays (I don't like it). Companies like Loar and Eastman are making it very difficult for most working musicians to justify spendy archtops, IMO. But, I would change pickups on a lot of the ones I've played. Fretwork/necks don't seem great to me on Loars, but again, try it and see.

I would be hesitant to spend $2k on an ES125T unless I loved it and knew I would use it frequently, especially if you're not specifically attracted to the vintage/Gibson aspect. I've recently seen good ones listed for $1400 locally.

I tend to prefer the full depth 125, but that's a matter of personal preference and intended use. I have played some thinlines that had surprisingly strong acoustic voice and bass response, so I don't write them off. They are very comfortable as well.

You may also want to check out similar options from Guild (both vintage and new models) and Heritage (H525).

Best of luck in your search.

Last edited by Ibnrushd; 02-13-2018 at 02:46 PM.