View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazmo View Post
615 is a walnut dread, Don? Interesting. I didn't realize there'd been such a change in the numbering system. Do you know what year yours is from?
Chaz
Mine was made in 1974, or early '75? It also has a Martin style bridge, and pick guard! I don't know when they developed their own style?
A friend of mine called me from Whittier Plaza Music, saying there were some guys selling a new line of guitars that I ought to check out! I high tailed it to the store ASAP!
Kurt Listug was at the store with four guitars, two dreads, and two jumbos. I fell in love with the 615, but the "big heat" at WPM hadn't decided to carry the line yet?
I was ready to spring for a B.C. Rich, but not after road testing the Taylor, the B-28 was out of my mind! I said if they weren't going to carry Taylor, I was going to follow Kurt to the first store which would!
WPM became one of the first a major dealers of Taylor, and remained so until they went out of business!
My Taylor never had the "Taylor sound" either! It sounded like an old Martin, and still does!
The truss rod is pretty crude compared to modern Taylors. I suspect that's why my neck is beginning to twist, but it still holds intonation just fine!
Don