View Single Post
Old 01-15-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Hey Zandit...what Matthew said...in fact here is a link to the build thread: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=313740

It is a wonderful thread and a wonderful guitar too! I expect that Devan had a once in a lifetime experience doing his course.

The course that you are considering sounds really interesting. I would love to do such a course but I know how bad my woodworking ability is! My 2 cents worth about the time required is that a lot of time could be taken up with the fancy bits - rosette etc. If you are using Tassie wood you can make a guitar that may be quite unadorned and still be very striking. If you get across to Devonport at all, drop in to Distinctive Timbers - they usually have a great range of guitar wood like Tassie Blackwood (got a set from then a while back!) and myrtle and sassafras. It will give you a first hand look at the options you have for back and sides so you are better informed if you do the course.

I guess my other thought would be size of the guitar that you want. For example, are you a dreadnought man for the next 20 years, or are you getting more interested in comfy little OM's? I guess that you do not have much range to look at in Penguin but if you get up to Melbourne for example, you could drop into Acoustic Music Centre and play a bunch of guitars to add to your understanding of tones, sizes, actions etc etc.

Col
Thanks Col. I actually found that thread after Matthew mentioned it, but thanks again for the link.
I've only looked through the window of Distinctive Timbers after hours, so I will definitely check them out soon.
I guess you could say I am a Dreadnought man, my Maton is a dread, and the Ibanez is between a Dread and a Jumbo. I love a strong bass, but also having a good middle and upper range too.
You're right though, there is nothing here to see in Penguin, it is just a small coastal town, but in Burnie and Devonport(both only 20mins away from home) there are a couple of shops to look at. There's also Launceston, and Hobart, but they are much longer trips.
I dropped into the Acoustic Centre in South Melbourne over the Xmas holidays, and absolutely loved it. Having said that, I didn't play too many guitars, and didn't touch a single guitar in the premium room, I was too intimidated by the price tags!!
I played a couple of newer Maton's, an Ovation, The new Yamaha Silent Guitar(which I loved), a couple of Cole Clarks, and mucked around with a Fishman Amp that I'm interested in. All I walked out with though was a new Grover Capo!!

@jt1, thank you so much for your videos and photos, that is a gorgeous guitar in both looks and sound!! Sounds like you are a history buff too, that was a great little story about the ladies shaping the bridge of the guitar!

@SMan, thanks also for your thoughts, most appreciated. I've owned an electric guitar before, but never played it, so I sold it pretty quickly. The wife wasn't overly impressed with me as it was a birthday present!!

Apparently someone else at work has holidays at the same time of the course, but he is out in the workshop, whereas I'm an office dweller, so I may be able to swing it. I should probably drop a line to the luthier to see if there is even a spot open on the course, that might be the first thing to do!

Thanks again everyone, and if you have some photos of your self made guitars you want to share, please post them up!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar