View Single Post
Old 01-14-2016, 08:18 PM

Default Guitar building course

The possibility has been raised for me to partake in a guitar building course under the guidance of Luthier Chris Wynne who is based in Eltham, Victoria, Australia, however he conducts one course every year here in Tasmania.
The course is an intensive 2 week event, working 8hrs a day, and while previous wood working skills are not essential, some familiarisation is recommended.

They only use solid Australian Tonewoods, with a large majority of them coming from Tasmania.

Everything is included in the cost of the course which varies slightly depending on the specifications you want from the guitar(Cutaway, more elaborate rosette etc). We select the timber pieces, and build the guitar from scratch. There is no kit involved.

Classes are small with a maximum of 6 students at a time.

Unfortunately, a number of things have to fall into place for this to happen due to the cost of the course(Roughly $4,000AUD), one of which is the sale of my motorcycle.

I'm not riding so much anymore, but it is something I can always get back into later down the road(so to speak!!)

I have that many ideas going through my head, I don't know where to start.
We get to design our own rosettes and head stock, while also having various sizes to choose from.

Has anyone participated in a similar course, and what were your thoughts?
Here is a link to the course which shows some of the guitars made in the gallery.
http://thomaslloydguitarstlg.com.au/gallery.html

Any thoughts on what to look for, or to keep in the back of the mind, it would be most appreciated.

Does 2 weeks seem very quick to build a quality guitar?

Thanks in advance.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar

Last edited by Zandit75; 05-09-2018 at 05:30 AM.