View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
But anyone who has been in a custom guitarmaker's shop when she or he first strings up a new guitar, as I have, will have heard the remarkable changes to the sound that occur within the first thirty minutes of the guitar being strung up. The process continues less dramatically from there, but it does continue.

Wade Hampton Miller
Yep, I got to play a Buendia OM in its first 30 minutes of life. Actually, it was his famous Tree OM. It hadn’t been played at all and had just been strung up. The changes were not subtle. They were massive. In my view this process continues at a tapered rate for the first few months, and I suspect it has more to do with vibrational effects and wood deformation/settling/strain relief than a change in material properties. Over many decades perhaps material property changes dominate. Certainly, the wood properties didn’t change in the 30 minutes I played that Buendia.

I’ve been the first person to play probably 10 Baraniks as well. Big changes right up front. No fancy instrumentation required to detect them.