View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 06:41 PM

Some years ago, living in Brisbane, Australia, a pretty humid place. My guitar at the time was a washburn which I'd lugged around to various places and it had really suffered - the neck had a backbow AND it had also raised a lot. It was in desperate need of a neck reset but I'd taken it to a couple of luthiers who told me that is wasn't repairable (due to this particular models neck arrangement). I was bummed to say the least. On a short job trip to Sydney I visited a music store one and saw this weirdly striped, black shiny 12 string guitar so ask for a spin. It was a Rainsong. I'd never seen nor heard of anything like this so and was amazed at how easy it was to play, especially considering it was a 12 string. Intrigued, I googled etc and ended up at the MacNichol forums and read up at how the necks don't warp, among other things! So after much research and consideration I decided I wanted a CA GX. Suddenly CA closes and there were some deals on the last of MacNichols stock, so I pounced and got one of the last Pre-Peavey GX's. Now shipping and duty to Australia is prohibitive but I knew I would be visiting my sister in law in San Francisco in a few months so I got it sent there. Quite an agonizing wait. Cut a long story short and it came back with me to Brisbane finally and a couple of years later I moved to LA so I got a chance to try a wide sampling of other makes and models of CF guitars, including a couple of trips to Ted's store. LA was like guitar nerd heaven for me and visited many stores and sampled many fine guitars, even some wooden ones. I'm now back in Sydney where the humidity still has no effect on the GX. I've moved on to other guitars now but the GX still has a place by the couch and gets played most days.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube