View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtw_21211
Hello - considering the OMJM-28, however a couple of questions/concerns -

Says it is set up/designed for medium strings. With an engleman top and a smaller OM body, I wonder about how that will hold up - I suppose if that is what Martin recommends for it, it is designed appropriatly to handle that - any thoughts?

Anybody out there own one of these? Whaat are your impressions?

I want a small body that strums well and has a 1 11/16 nut - this is one of the only ones out there that meets those specs - which is why I am interested in it (I'm not familiar with JM's music at all). Any other model to consider that fits this bill? I already own a oooc-16 rgte, which is a rosewood/sitka OM style with the 1 11/16 nut, and I just love the feel and sound of that little guitar, but would like to have something like it that's just a little nicer and maybe a little louder - I thought maybe the OMJM with its medium strings might be just what the doctor ordered - What do you all think?
Thanks,
Matt
I have only ever owned sitka topped
Hi Matt,
I'll try to be as unbiased as possible here.. although that will be tough...
I've played the Mayer sig model, and no doubt it's a fine guitar. But for me a least, the Collings OMs are superior in every aspect. Again, this is just "my" opinion. I have a OM1AC and for its size, its projection is substantial. The Collings guitars may be one of the models you might want to "test drive" if you get the opportunity. You'll find them only to be slightly more expensive than the Mayer, if not very close, depending on what Collings you look at and what options it has, i.e. addy top, cutaway, etc... Again, not bashing Martin....they make great stuff, but I'm pretty smitten with the instruments from the Austin gang. I use light-medium stings on mine (.012 - .056") and have no issues. Also....directly from the Collings website, "An OM should be fine with medium gauge strings."