View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 02:41 PM

Since there aren't that many solid top old Yamaha models, so your options a a bit limited. Just off the top of my head there are the FG-365S and FG-375S, and FG-500 and FG-580 (plus I'm sure a few other non-US-import models). However, these are not popular models that come by often on eBay (esp. the latter two), and when they do come up, they almost always go for more money than a new FG730 or even a LL. So unless you are set on a solid top model, and is hot after a vintage Yamaha, you are definitely going to get more bang for your buck if you pick up a new FG730S.

And funny you should mention Seagull. My first 'real' guitar was a Seagull mini jumbo and it was a wonderful guitar esp. for the money. I would personally choose a new Seagull over a new Yamaha for the lightly applied satin finish, cedar top, wider neck and the better tone. But your mileage may vary. Definitely try them both before deciding.

P.S. I have a '72 FG-500 and it's a fantastic guitar. It's the best FGs I have played among the 20 or so I have had or had tried out. Also look for any 70's or 80's L series models also. I would stay away from any FG-180 on eBay as they tend to get way overpriced. Way.