Thread: Playing by Ear.
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorse777 View Post
I have been learning guitar for just over a year now and I am finally about to play most of the stuff I listen to although sometimes my technical skill lags behind my ear and of course I am working on that. However, I derive most pleasure out of listening to singers and copy their vocal melody and play it as it is usually sounds very melodic to me. Just today I played the entire song "Ain't no Sunshine" by Bill Withers on my guitar and I wish to know if I am on the right track to learn the instrument by doing this? Also, My lead guitar repertoire was pretty much non existent and I feel doing this gives me more licks to learn and get those registered in my mind to pull them out whenever I seek to play something melodious.
Thats a tough one. There are not short cuts, (at least for most of us mortals). Practice and experimentation works. Try it, go for it, get your ear used to the sound of the right and wrong notes you hit. You have to play a bit not just hit the books. You will be surprised how much you can learn just by feeling out the notes and chords you think should be there.