View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceabeceabe View Post
I've got an OM-21 and am thinking of putting an Anthem or Lyric in. I've seen a couple of people have the Anthem in 1 of their guitars and the Lyric in another. Others have probably had one, replaced it with the other...

Was wondering which people preferred, and why.

Also, what do others recommend for the om-21, and why?

Thank,

Curtis
The mistake I made was assuming LR Baggs as the go-to for acoustic pickups. I don't even feel they are leader anymore (see and hear latest Fishman products). I don't think they are over-rated but I think the flaws and problems that come with many of their designs are carelessly over looked by media due to the brand. People really love this company for some reason and I'm not convinced it's all about the quality of their products because their products have flaws.

The Lyric to my ears does not achieve what they claim. If it does sound like a dynamic microphone in front of the sound hole it sounds like a damaged microphone in front of the sound-hole. I hear missing range in every sample... They needed to follow the Anthem with something and show innovation and their idea of that is the Lyric, but I think it's a product that really showcases how lack luster they are becoming. I'n not trying to make enemies, but even before some of my first hand problems with their products I've felt this way about the Lryic.

I like what I hear with the Anthem, a lot actually... Once you have a setup that gives you the ability to blend it's hard to go back. I've done a lot of research on Baggs products. It seems the microphone portion of the Anthem is just as prone to feedback as their pickup I just installed (iBeam). At least with the iBeam I can reposition the volume control and allow a sound suppressor to be plugged in to stop that, with the Anthem it would be impossible to put a sound suppressor in the way the unit mounts inside the sound hole.

So given that I'd look at other options on the market like the Anthem and that leads to what I think is the most interesting and best sounding pickup I've heard so far. The Fishman Ellipse Aura. It uses a mic and UST similar to the Anthem but to my ears is superior. I would say vastly, but I like the tone better from what I've able to compare it to in J-45s (A Brad Paisley model with Fishman Ellipse Aura and a J-45 TV which has an Anthem put in aftermarket). I really think the Fishman is a generation ahead. I think if more people were objective when listening and giving the Fishman a chance just trusting their ears they'd feel the same.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine