View Single Post
Old 04-16-2024, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Epiphones are all good imitations of Gibsons.

But if I couldn't afford a Gibson, I doubt I'd settle for an Epiphone. There are plenty of other good brands to choose from that aren't poor cousins of another brand and don't have the Gibson price tag. Guild, Hagstrom, Hamer, Harmony, Reverend, Yamaha . . . . Even Fender offers some good humbucker options.

You could also go the used route. A good used Gibson is a step up from a good new Epiphone.
I may be wrong, and I certainly don't have the experience or ear of some of you folks who have more time on electric guitars, but I've found that Epiphone seems to be more in line with the Gibson feel and tone than the others. Those other guitars are, or can be, great guitars, and in some instances better than Gibson. But, they usually have a feel and tone that are their own. If your goal is to get as close to a Gibson as possible, an Epiphone is a good option. I do of course realize that some other companies (like Heritage) do in fact attempt to clone the Gibson, and there's nothing wrong with that either. I'm not sure they have the same tone though?