View Single Post
Old 09-04-2016, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Are you sure the side tracks are panned? I don't know this app, so I don't see where the pan is being done. If you can post the raw 2 tracks, M and S, I'd be happy to decode them using an MS plugin (which is way easier, and more foolproof) and see what you have.

EDIT:

Actually, what you're seeing makes perfect sense. Before you flip the phase, you basically have mono - the mono M signal, and the S signal on both panned tracks, which identical. So you have a mono blend of the 2 mics. As soon as you flip the phase, the M/S calculation kicks in, and you have stereo, complete with whatever balance is there in the stereo image. BTW, if you want to verify this and see a bit of how inverted phase works, mute the mid signal, then listen to the two side tracks, with one inverted. It should sound pretty odd, but that's expected, it's just the side info. Now, if you have a master mono switch on your output, go to mono mode. What happens? Everything goes silent! The two out of phase signals completely cancel.

Last edited by Doug Young; 09-04-2016 at 11:30 PM.