Thread: Banjo advice?
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
A couple points:
[*]"Banjo" can mean different things to different people. and while 5-string is unquestionably the standard for bluegrass/clawhammer/classical you're not likely to see one in a Dixieland/trad-jazz band or at most Irish seisiuns. FWIW 4-string banjos have a rich history dating back to the first decade of the 20th century, and many of these earlier instruments are highly sought-after by players in specific genres - I have a circa-1920 openback Weymann that I keep in Irish GDAE tuning for when the need arises, and a couple of companies produce replica period tenors for those who can't locate/afford one of the prized originals...
I know this, hence I said "to me". When I was looking I strongly considered tenor since I already played mandolin and they could share the same tuning, but settled on learning 5 string because that was the banjo sound I wanted. Drone string is haunting to me in any format. Either way, I just encourage to make sure you are buying the sound and technique that appeals to your ear.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle