View Single Post
Old 05-26-2005, 07:20 PM

...and beer is just beer (we can keep this going all night )

Personally, I never warmed up to the Gibson vibe-but that's just me. I've heard their QC is much more consistent now, and the newer ones are really decent.

For 12's, I definitely have a preference for Taylors. Mine isn't "thin" or too trebly, or whatever the usual rap is on Taylors. The fact that they re-voiced their 6-strings I think was an admission that they were often lacking in the lower tonal palatte. Haven't played any of the re-voiced ones, as I'm not in the market, and no one around here carries them.

Martins seem to maintain their patina of "benchmark" even among those whose budgets have allowed them to go with commissioned guitars from small builders. It seems as though they are the guitars others are often compared to-like "it is very Martin-like" or "it's not very Martin-like." But I know people who love them, and people who feel they are so-so.

As has been, and will no doubt be noted many times over on threads like these, it's in the ears (and eyes) of the beholder. Very subjective. So, now that I've added nothing to this discussion, I'll be going...