View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 06:59 PM

I will admit. Im just a typical average guitarist that just loves to play. I always played steel string guitars. Also never liked the wide nut width.

But just like the OP was saying... I was one that never gave them a chance.

Im not very good or anything so having a Larrivee l-03 is all I have ever wanted and needed.

I recently just took a trip to cozumel, mexico.

Looked up if there was any guitar stores on youtube before I left.

Came across this guys shop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjtsMhQu3PQ
When i went to town, it took me a while to find the shop. but after asking a couple locals I found it.

It was a whole new experience for me. I ended up trying tons of guitars while also listening to him play for me.

Was hard to play at first but was getting a little more use to it. Was kind of like goin from a 1 11/16 inch to a 1 3/4 when I was more of a begginer.

He had several factory mexican made ones for 80 bucks with a case. However, at 300 bucks he had built to order solid wood construction nylon classical guitars that were special made fore his shop. It was a whole different level. But just couldnt justify that much money without doing reasearch and seeing if I was even going to like it as much as my larrivee.

I bought the 80 dollar one. Was happy to give him my business. Was worth it almost to meet him and his wife and hear him play. Was very inspirational.

pretty decent guitar for the money. Stays in tune ok. I play fingerstyle sometimes soo theres a handfull of songs I was playing while on vaction. Im a bigger guy and have big hands soo after a while it wasnt so hard. Was thinking when I got home I would be glad to play my nice larrivee.

Had a different result when I got home. The neck on the larrivee felt soo skinny. Seems soo cramped I could barely play. Plus the sound is soo different .
Been playing the classical for a while now and am in love. so much more intimate. The tone of nylon and the way it plays is something I never thought was for me. guess im just a typical american guitarist that the steel string was all iknew ..

Will probably one day want to buy a more quality nylon. With a solid top at least.