View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 08:40 AM

If you are adding a strap button (via drill and screw), be very careful.

The other day a bought a Dean EABC (inexpensive acoustic bass) with the same problem as yours, no neck strap button. So I think, how hard can it be to add a strap button? Dean recommends putting it in the neck heal (big flat spot). I buy Fender strap buttons (gotta be better than Allparts - right?). Check the screw size for the pilot, drill the hole, drive the srew in... *SNAP* The screw breaks below flush and cracks the heal cap binding. No way to get it out. I gather my thoughts and try again with a bigger pilot hole behind the other one. Drive the screw in... *SNAP*!!! Now I'm pissed and there is a sharp nub sticking out, big enough to cut skin, not big enough to grab. I pull out the Dremel and carefully grind it flush. I dig up another screw (chrome drywall screw). Drill...screw...success...kinda. A hollow victory at best. We will see how long that screw lasts. I'm truly pissed at Fender for their poor quality of hardware.

Call your manufacturer's CS and get their recommendation. The heal of the neck would seem to be the easiest spot. But if you are using a standard strap button, consider getting Dunlop Straplocks (plastic locking keepers), just to be safe. or use real Straplocks. If you decide on the lower side of the neck, be sure you are not drilling into anything like a bolt (hence calling CS first), upping the screw size might be wise as well (as long as it fits the button).

The moral to the story: Make sure you know exactly what you are doing and be sure your installation hardware is up to the task. Worst case, take it in and let a Tech or Luthier do it. Good luck.
Fender: '69 Mustang Competition; '91 Stratocaster Plus; '11 Telecaster Standard
Gibson: '11 Les Paul Studio Deluxe 60s
Epiphone: '11 ES 339 Pro
PRS: '07 CE22; '03 Santana SE; '12 Tremonti SE
Bradley: '77 Les Paul Custom
Squier: '99 Precision Bass

Last edited by Auriemma; 10-22-2009 at 10:42 AM.