View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Hi Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
I get to give a short 5 to 10 minute speech at a graduation ceremony for my daughter. She was home schooled. Homeschoolers will often give a graduation party either alone or with other graduates that were part of their homeschooling network. Part of this often involves the parent giving an encouraging speech of reflection, affirmation and encouragement for the future.
This should be done without embarrassing the graduate.
I am working on that speech now. I thought I would ask you fine people what you would say and what you would encourage me to say. This will happen on Saturday.
Judging from the post's of yours as well as some replies i have read from you, I dont think you will have alot of difficulty saying whats in your heart, your hopes and wishes for your daughter.I find it to be kind of an interesting question from you, and since i have a daughter of my own, although she's 3 on June 21st, i can and want to try and relate to what you might be experiencing. Alot of emotions, Im sure. I decided that i would answer w/out reading anyone else's suggestions.

Here's my thoughts, i would have to reflect on all the memories that now are just pictures gone by in my mind that i would want to hold close and keep fresh, realizing how fast they went, and are going by(for me). I'd remind myself & Daughter how short and precious our lives are how lucky we are to have and to have had loved ones to share with. Good memories are often earned, they are wealth that cant be recovered. Relationships must be nurtured. Memories can equal a fortune of a lifetime or the debt and regret of one's lifetime. Make her aware that these ARE the good ol days and live em in fashion that she wont have to regret. that cant be overstated, imho.Im sure yours are likely a fortune, you took the time and cared enough to take so much responsibility. Your lucky and so is she. Tell her thank you and that YOU LOVE HER and ALWAYS WILL, tell her how proud your are of her, tell her 50 times! I mean it.

Affirmation, affirm that the work is only beginning and that if it were a 100 yard dash she is at about the 10yard mark. Long way to go, short time to get it right. The world doesn't care about fairness or her self esteem, but that doesnt mean she cant. Tell her to NEVER LET THEM SEE HER SWEAT! EVER! The only opinion that matters at the end of the day is hers, EXPLAIN THAT TO HER, from a dads point of view. Definately tell her boys lie like crazy and they are typically about 10 years behind in terms of maturity at her age. Tell her she should have Have fun, but be careful with her mind. So be aware of the minefields of life. A dad can explain that one.

As for encouragement, encourage her that the only thing that she cant accomplish is the thing she believes SHE cant! Do not let energy vampires plant seeds of doubt and always be careful of seemingly well meaning bullsh##ers who are predators in disguise. Encourage her to be aware of disapointment and realize that God is always there and so will disapointment be. What goes down, must come up if she doesnt give up! Things can always work out! Be bold, take life's obligations as they come and in a hurricane of life become swiss cheese and roll w/ it... do not become stagnate like a plywood wall against hurricane winds of life. Get it while the gettin's good and always be on the lookout for the opportunity to put yourself in a position of choice and favor!
WORK HARD AND SPEND AT LEAST SLIGHTLY LESS THAN YOU EARN!!! Money, if nothing else, can at least provide a certain form of security, being able to write checks that cash affords some comfort at home. And tell her even when she 50 years old if your still here you are going to be watching over her whether she likes it or not! She will... That would be encouraging to me......i would think. Tell her just exactly how much you love being her dad, and then ask her whats next.......for us!

Take care and thanks for sharing

Sammy