View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
DEFINITELY NOT THE THING TO DO!!! They will read the strict rules and probably note the conversation on the system, eg Lufthansa will want £70 each way if it’s counted as an additional bag. Turn up without telling them and they have been, for me, very helpful when checking in and at the gate. I haven’t checked a guitar on a European flight in a decade at least. This includes Calton cases.

Golden rule in negotiating, never ask a question if there is any chance of getting the wrong answer. So, have hand baggage only, check in online and go straight to the gate. Say nothing unless spoken to and get on the plane as early as possible.

I’ve flown literally hundreds of time with guitars and that’s my modus operandi.
I agree this is probably the best policy. Anytime I have told them I was bringing a guitar in my luggage it's been a big deal, either expensive or inconvenient. I am out in Asia at the moment and am schlepping around a cheap guitar in a gig bag, no problems at all. I say nothing and no one has challenged me yet, not sure about bringing it back through Heathrow, but we'll give it a try!