View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 03:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave JH View Post
Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, when I get to Montreal my normal baggage will be checked through to the next flight.

What happens with the guitar?is it checked through as well or do I have to pick it up and gate check it again in Montreal?
Hi Dave

My experience is that you will need to pick it up after each flight. This also gives you the chance to ask for it to go on-board with you on the next flight, which in your case could be a bigger plane and/or a different carrier with a better attitude.

Couple of additions to 6L6’s excellent list:
• Always get a tag when it is gate checked. I have had airline staff in a hurry that have not offered it, but I politely insisted and got one without drama. If anything happens to your guitar, a lack of a tag would make a claim really hard.
• Each time you gate check it is good to ask where it will be made available at the end of the journey – it may be given to you if you wait on the flight bridge, or it may go into the main baggage area.
• Insurance – yes! Especially at the value you mention, which may go well above the limit on any more general travel cover you have (worth checking). Heritage and Andersons both get good reviews on the AGF. I am with Andersons and I find them great to deal with, although I have not made a claim yet.

Col