View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Nothing to it, Dave!

1). Get a case worthy of air travel in the event you are forced to check your guitar with regular baggage. For me, a Hiscox Pro II case has worked perfectly

2) Empty EVERYTHING out of the guitar case except your guitar. EVERYTHING! If your guitar has a pickup that uses a battery, REMOVE THE BATTERY (looks like an explosive device under the X-ray machine)

3) Go through security to your gate. Ask the gate attendants if you can take your guitar onboard. If they say “no”, ask to have it gatechecked. They will tag it, give you the claim check, and then it will be hand carried down the steps and placed in the cargo hold. Much better than riding the regular baggage belt!

4) You will meet your guitar at your destination. BE SURE to check the regular baggage turnstile AND the outsized baggage delivery port.

5) Detune your guitar a couple of steps.

6) Place soft clothing around the headstock and anywhere else the guitar is loose, but leave a little “give”.

7j If your guitar incorporates Brazilian rosewood, I strongly recommend you do NOT take it. For more on this check out discussions about CITES.

8) pack your guitar accessories in a clear plastic bag and label it “guitar stuff”. Put this in your carryon or regular checked luggage.

9) Consider insuring your guitar. It’s cheap to do and gives you extra peace of mind. I use USAA Insurance Co. (open only to current or former members of the US Military). Google other companies if you don’t qualify for USAA.

Have a fun trip!

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, when I get to Montreal my normal baggage will be checked through to the next flight.

What happens with the guitar?is it checked through as well or do I have to pick it up and gate check it again in Montreal?