View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 01:18 PM

Here's my experiences, hope it helps.

Use a standard 1/4" guitar cable from your 314ce output. What type of pickup system does the 314 have (ES, Fishman, something else?). Does it have volume and tone controls in the guitar - usually means it has a preamp built into the guitar. If it does, you can get away without an outboard preamp like the Baggs ParaDI and go directly into te HiZ Guitar input. If it has no preamp, the Baggs unit is a good one.

When connecting to a sound system for the first time, I usually set all volume controls (guitar, PA input channel, MAIN and MONITOR outputs) to minimum/all the way off. Gradually turn up the MAIN PA volume and the PA CHANNEL volume to about 25% above off. Then, gradually turn up the volume at the guitar. If you get no sound through the PA once you have rolled on some volume for all units, there is probably something not right (PA setting, something connected wrong, dead batteries in the guitar's preamp, etc.). At that point, I start confirming all connections/cables, setting, etc.

If I do get sound out of the PA, I adjust to taste. Typically, the higher you can have the guitar output - the better. So, once I get sound, I begin turning up the volume pot on the guitar (or preamp). 75% of the max volume here is OK. Of course, if you get feedback or volume is way too loud, cut back.

It's difficult to "fry" a PA system with an acoustic... I'm sure it's been done. If you take your time and make sure your connections are correct, you should have no problem.

Last edited by Rodger; 01-20-2011 at 01:29 PM.