View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 02:55 AM

I would expect a practice log to contain details of the type of practice done. Off the top of my heaad I can think of at least three different types of practice, others on here may come up with more.

First of all there is learning something completely new. This could be a technique, a new chord shape, a new piece of music which you learn bar by bar, anything new. In doing this kind of practice you are developing muscle memory and you should never continue past a mistake. Quite often you will practice as slowly as needed to not make mistakes and only speed up if you can do so correctly.

Another form of practice is performance practice. You can start doing this as soon as you learn your first piece. In this type of practice You do NOT stop for mistakes. You go from beginning to end no matter what. You play as if you were playing to an audience and the last thing an audience wants is to hear someone start a piece badly, stop and start again. If you can't do a half reasonable performance of a piece you need to go back to the first type of practice on that piece. Its not uncommon to go back and forwards with these two types of practice on a new piece. If it's just one or two bits of a piece the always go wrong concentrate you first type of practice on those particular bits.

The third form of practice is to do with develping your ability to connect your ears and your imagination with your hands. You hear or imagine a short musical phrase or chord and then try to play it on your guitar. Although this sounds simple it can take you an awfully long way.

Keep brief notes of this stuff. The idea is to practice guitar, not writing.

I'm not a fan of practicing scales or getting too bogged down in theory too soon. Others on this forum may disagree. Good Luck.