View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
However say it's any major scale, there are two half steps (between notes 2 and 3 and notes 7 and 8). You can do that up and down on one string without much thought. Crossing over to different strings as you go up and down the scale you start considering patterns (which depends on the tuning your guitar is set to). With ascending cross strings patterns beginning from the root note I often start off major scales on the middle finger and minor scales on the index finger.

In the actual tunes what are frequently used are not pure diatonic scales played in linear directions. Also the use of open strings can allow time for quite a bit leaping up and down the fretboard during your solo note lines.
I guess the question is, what is the best order to learn this stuff? if you're just starting to learn it?

What you're talking about is what every decent improviser does in time...intuitively putting your finger on the right string and fret to play the next note you hear in your head -- that note being some interval away from the previous note.

But in my experience, this is way too complicated for most beginners. I've had far more success with the old-fashioned method: learn the traditional patterns in a couple of positions first. Learn to use them as the "framework" for soloing, and how to "plug in" riffs and licks you hear into those patterns and positions. Gradually, you get more proficient, more free, and more comfortable exploring these patterns, and adding to them.

And, since the OP asked in the OP, here are a couple of the patterns I'm talking about:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=485908

The longer you play, the more sophisticated your understanding becomes. I think sometimes advanced players forget the long path they walked before reaching their own unique insights. But I believe a solid foundation (note names and roots, patterns and positions, etc.) is a great advantage to any student going forward.

Last edited by Guitar Slim II; 10-13-2017 at 04:32 PM.