View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 03:04 PM

All the previous replies are good and I'm sure you'll get some more. But I'll share what I've been working on and I think has been working...

1) Economy of pick motion. Not economy picking- that's different. When I pick a string I only want my pick to go only so far as it needs to to get the string to vibrate. Sometimes I will practice by picking so that the pick starts on one side of the string and ends on the other, even trying to stop the vibration on the opposite of the attack side. This leads to tremolo picking where I continuously do up/down strokes with a minimal motion, but with dead even timing on 16th notes going gradually faster until it is very fast. The moment it is no longer timed or ringing evenly I slow down. Minimizing the motion of the stroke also makes it easier for muscle memory to know where each string sits. Being undisciplined in the stroke makes it harder for the right hand to know where the 6 individual strings are. It doesn't make it easy- just easIER.

2) The Left hand may require some adjustment. In my case I'm working on a modification of the notion of KFD (keep fingers down). An easier way to understand it is to try to get the fingers of the left hand to the string(s) well ahead of the time to pick. For example, if I'm doing a 4 note descending chromatic run on one string, if possible all 4 fingers go down together lifting each as necessary but the other fingers are already in place. But in practice it is rare that 4 fingers go down on one string at one. But its often two and sometimes three. If I have to cross strings I will try to reach early, sometimes reaching with one finger while fretting/picking another at the same time. It's tricky, but even if not yet mastered, it keeps my left hand ahead of the picking sequence. It is a total departure from my previous habit of thinking one note/one finger. The timing of the note execution is now up to the right hand as the left hand won't be lagging as it used to when trying to pick fast.

3) Go slow, be unrelentingly accurate. Practicing slowly but absolutely precisely will train the timing of the fingers in such a way that when it's time to go fast you'll be able to.

4) Use a metronome often, if not always when practicing these things. It will keep your timing honest and give you an measurement of progress as you can see that things that you used to play at 80bpm can now be played well at 120bpm.

I've not fully mastered what I've proposed here, but I've significantly improved in speed, accuracy and control of sound and musical expression. I can now play more relaxed and les frenetic when I have to play fast (assuming I'm practiced).
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS